Convert garage to gym: this is a term that comes up a lot, especially at summer. At the time of writing this, summer is creeping up on us. Inevitably meaning bikini (or mankini) season is slowly creeping up on us. Although getting in shape with the sole reason of looking good should not be a goal, getting fit and healthy should be. With this said, not many of us average Joes and Janes have the time or effort, to go to the gym after a long day at work. Which is why a lot of people like the idea of a garage gym conversion.

Convert Garage to Gym

If you are like many of the UK population, paying for an expensive gym membership is not even a choice. With only 20% of us using our garages to store our cars regularly, the remaining 80% must have a wasted space full of junk. Just think of all that potential…That’s why we want to share some tips on how to do a Garage Gym Conversion. 

Convert Garage To Gym

Convert Garage to Gym

Ah, potential. What a wonderful word, full of inspiration and budding plausibility. Potential that is within the realm of possibility. How promising and conceivable the idea of turning your garage into a personal gym is.

Filled with exercise equipment you won’t have to wait in line for, cleared of sweaty muscled show offs and ‘conveniently’ placed mirrors, that remind you of all the beading eyes in gym.

Garage Conversion Idea – Convert Garage to Gym

However, converting a garage can be quite the task. Especially if you have no idea where to get started and if it is even possible within a reasonable budget. Although it seems like a lot of work and expenses, it could be the solution to a healthier you. Below, you will learn a rough idea of a garage conversion cost and how to create a fitness sanctuary.

Garage Conversion Costs For DIY Projects

With every DIY project, there are always a handful of obstacles waiting to put a halt to any efforts. To avoid these, we suggest making a list of things that are going to need doing, before starting the process. For example, all the DIY tools you’ll need and a list of cheap gym equipment you want within the garage.

Ask yourself, what is reasonable and obtainable. There is no point having huge aspirations that are unrealistic. Once you have developed a plan of action, start researching the costs. How much is a treadmill? How much electricity will the gym equipment be using? This is all useful information to know when deciding if a home gym is worth having rather than a gym membership.

Convert Garage To Gym
Converting Your Garage To A Gym

Home Gym Ideas – Electrical Appliances

Before you buy any equipment that will need plugging in, make sure to install enough plug sockets. Also, think about the lighting in your garage, is it bright enough to be spending a period of time in? If not it might be time for some new lighting fixtures.

Storage of Exercise Equipment

For an in-depth guide to garage storage, our previous blog will offer our garage storage ideas. So, you’ve made a list to figure out what needs doing first, you’ve asked the appropriate questions. All that is left is to start. We would suggest clearing out your garage first, possibly selling any unused items or giving them to charity.

Use the money you earned to go towards the garage renovation. Then, sort out the garage insulation for winter. Possibly by replacing your garage door with an insulated garage door that you can ask us about.

Convert Garage to Gym – Types of Gym Workouts

Now, before buying your equipment, have a think about the type of workouts you would like to do. Maybe you want to concentrate on building muscle, in which case you would buy a gym weight set, kettlebells for perfecting the kettlebell swing and a weight bench. On the other hand, you might prefer to be doing more aerobic gym exercises.

This would be best for relaxation and toning. Freeing up floor space and purchasing suitable mats for floor work would be ideal. You might want to do cardio for weight loss which would mean an elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike would be more suitable.

Convert Garage to Gym
Converting Your Garage To a Gym

Garage Conversion Workout Music – Getting Motivated

Once you have finished your garage conversion, you should make a workout playlist. Or, even have a TV installed on the wall, so you can flick through channels while on the running machine. The main thing is to stay motivated, remember why you built your little gym and how much effort you put into making it.

This will be sure to give you the inspiration to continue to use your home gym. If all else fails, look at the adorable picture of the dog lifting weights. Look how happy he is with his red towel resting on his shoulders like a superhero’s cape.

Convert Garage To Gym DIY 

Like, share and let us know your thoughts in the comments; we’d love to hear from you.